From the state house to the court house, from the halls of Congress to the halls of schools, there is much to know about LGBTQ rights and the threats to them. How to follow it all? Who is advocating for the community? Who can you contact if you want to be an advocate? Here are some resources.
- Check the status of new legislation at California Legislature Info
- Find your state legislators’ names and contact information here
- Equality Federation tracks important state legislation affecting LGBTQ+ Americans
- Follow legislation in Congress and contact your representatives at Congress.Gov
Political Action and Advocacy
- The Human Rights Campaign mobilizes equality voters and advances pro-equality policy and legislation.
- The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has a plethora of information on LGBTQ issues, rights, and legislation.
- The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) conducts legal and legislative advocacy for all LGBTQ people.
- The California LGBTQ Health & Human Services Network is a statewide coalition of non-profit providers, community centers, and researchers advocating for state level policies and resources to advance LGBTQ+ health.
- PFLAG National has information on pending legislation and lobbying; and may send members action alerts for pending legislation.
- The National Center for Transgender Equality helps you take action through
- Families for Transgender Equality (FTE),
- Voices for Transgender Equality (VTE), and
- National Action Center
In the Courts
- The ACLU reports on court cases affecting LGBTQ+ people.
- Equality on Trial is another source for LGBTQ+ news from the courts.
- Family Equality participates in cases to advance equality for LGBTQ+ families.